Surviving
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's try this again/welcome wagon

+2
High Cultist
TimeKiller
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Let's try this again/welcome wagon Empty Let's try this again/welcome wagon

Post  TimeKiller Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 am

Hey everybody!

Okay, well to get started I figure we should start by awkwardly introducing ourselves, and then we can proceed with planning the nuts and bolts of how this campaign will be run.

I suppose I'll start:

Hi! My name is Will, but you can call me TimeKiller or TK or whatever else works. I've been GMing for . . . about 6+7 years now, I usually run World of Darkness and I almost always use the Storyteller system or a modified version of that.

I live on the east coast, and I am excited to get started!

Feel free to line up, once we're all introduced we can get started on the planning.

TimeKiller
Admin

https://surviving.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Let's try this again/welcome wagon Empty Re: Let's try this again/welcome wagon

Post  TimeKiller Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 am

okay, NOW lets try it.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 am

Hey hows it going John/High Cultist here.
I'm a Huge fan of Survival Horror and Lovecraftian lore so this should be right up my ally. I'm not well versed in the story teller system but I am more than willing to learn it!
I am on the West coast but I'm available as long as I'm not working since I tend to rise early and sleep late.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  SenatorJesus Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm Nick, SenatorJesus, whatever. I've got some experience with the Storyteller system, though I've barely played it. I'm on the west coast as well, though I've got a pretty flexible work/school schedule.

SenatorJesus

Back to top Go down

Post  an New Guy Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm Jake, an New Guy. as you might of guessed. I relatively new to RPGs.
I live in the midwest. Don't worry about time, I've got plenty of it since I'm done with school and I'm looking for a job. I'll you if the situation changes.

an New Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 am

Cool! Hola guys, I think we're waiting on one more and he should be joining us pretty soon. I see a lot of different time zones, so "live" gaming might be difficult, although I am still willing to try.

IRC has been proposed, looks simple enough, anyone able to tell me if a channel I make on mIRC is dedicated? like if it sticks around when I'm not online? I couldn't find any information about what the deal with channels is.

a minecraft server was also proposed to be used as a sort of board or prop, a way to figure out locations and building layouts and things, not a full on set.

Of course there are many other options for chat style RPing.

So, the method I think we're going with so far is this: Combination forum based play and scheduled IM chat play occasionally.

The way I see it is forum play would be the base play of the game, general kind of stuff, and we could try and use Chat play for more intense segments.

I am open to any other suggestions if anyone has them. When we get this worked out, we can start on character creation.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:33 am

Forum and Chat sounds good to me. Though the minecraft idea is interesting...
Edit: there does happen to be a post apoc pack for textures too I can't post the link due to the forum set up though. Also I have to recommend the Technic mod because it's amazing even if for just building purposes.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 am

Well for minecraft there is NO way I would have the time to physically build the locations, it would mostly be like, a floor plan of blocks so you can "see" the layout. Not actual structures.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 am

TimeKiller wrote:Well for minecraft there is NO way I would have the time to physically build the locations, it would mostly be like, a floor plan of blocks so you can "see" the layout. Not actual structures.

Ah well that's still helpful in my opinion, It's better than having nothing.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  SenatorJesus Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:08 pm

TimeKiller wrote:Well for minecraft there is NO way I would have the time to physically build the locations, it would mostly be like, a floor plan of blocks so you can "see" the layout. Not actual structures.

Okay...I was about to say, that would be an awesome, yet quite massive undertaking. Also, all I have right now is my laptop, which can barely run Minecraft without it slowing to a crawl. Forum and chat sounds better, possibly forums for general roleplay and IRC for combat?

SenatorJesus

Back to top Go down

Let's try this again/welcome wagon Empty slowpoke

Post  Charlie4vb Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:49 am

Hey, i'm the one ya'll have been waiting on. I'm Chuck/Charlie4vb. East Coast 4th Y University student. I'm pretty busy since it's that time of month all the papers I've put off are due. If I can't make it for something i'll work it out with Timekiller, but I imagine i can make most.

Edit: Oh, also I'm fairly experienced with World of Darkness, but somewhat new to the forum rp. Worth a shot right?

Last edited by Charlie4vb on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Charlie4vb

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie4vb Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:50 am

I've got some buddies who are pretty into making RP servers for minecraft (everything medical, tekkit, spout or otherwise). If this thing takes off and ya'll are interested perhaps one day I can throw the idea at them. I imagine that's further down the line though. Lets give forums a shot first ya?

Charlie4vb

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Charlie4vb wrote:
I've got some buddies who are pretty into making RP servers for minecraft (everything medical, tekkit, spout or otherwise). If this thing takes off and ya'll are interested perhaps one day I can throw the idea at them. I imagine that's further down the line though. Lets give forums a shot first ya?

Sounds like a plan, the forums I mean.

Okay, so it looks like we're almost all from different timezones, might make IM play difficult, but we'll figure something out when we come to it.

I think we're ready to get going on some character creation. Basically, what we'll be doing first is coming up with character concepts in a group, so we can see what people will be playing as and what "slots" might be open. In short, we don't all end up brooding, mistrustful lone wolves.

The game is going to start downtown, in a major city so character concepts should be based around that. The easiest way to start with your concept is with your characters occupation and then build off of that.

Examples:

Homeless man with a heart of gold.
Bored stockboy.
Stuck-up accountant.

Those are just some rough ideas, a little unrefined, but it gets you in the right direction. The characters are going to be in a major city, downtown, probably in a coffee shop. So they're going to need a reason for being in that area, do they work there? Do they work nearby? Do they live nearby? Were they picking up coffee for a friend? A boss? Etc.

SO lets get some ideas flowing, feel free to post questions, ask for more details, collaborate with each other etc, the more characters than we can start off knowing each other, the better.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SenatorJesus Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I was thinking about rolling up a character I had used for an All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign that was tragically cut short, pretty much a veteran EMT.

SenatorJesus

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 am

I could see myself playing a Police Detective, a PI, or even a Fire Fighter. That would make it easy for me to know a lot of people especially the EMT.
Actually now that I think of it a Fire fighter would be really fun.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

EMT and firefighter are fine, although I want to point out that the character aspect should be more important than the job cause if we end up as "Cop, Soldier, EMT, Firefighter" I WILL flip tables. So we're going to need to know something about who you are beyond that you save lives, also along that train of thought:

Careers like that might be problematic, at least early on. Take the firefighter and imagine "Firefighter bob? Hi this is dispatch, get your ass back here we got fires to fight!" cause my goal is to start Day 1 of this.

Beside that, keep in mind details of your characters lives, are they married? where do they live? do they have a Girlfriend/boyfriend? What sort of hobbies do they keep, pets? Did they move here? etc. We'll go more into that sort of stuff when we get down and dirty in character creation. I think we just need a little more tacked on to your concepts, Veteran EMT is okay, but what sort of veteran? a disillusioned EMT? A Jaded EMT? An EMT who wants to retire ASAP? an EMT who takes delight in the grotesque nature of his job? lol.

Same goes for the fire fighter, the concept should be a tad bit more specific, people are more than their jobs.

God I am long winded.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Ah I'll put some more thought into it then. I'll probably have an idea of what I want to play by the end of the day.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Not trying to be a stick in the mud here, I am just hoping to avoid you guys starting as the "survivor A-Team"

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 am

I can understand that, maybe I'll be a college student that works at said coffee shop and is an aspiring actor. Essentially a Leader/Face type character. Let me write up a short (1-3 paragraph) back story.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  Muteface Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 am

Latecomer, call me Mute, west coast.

Just read through and I'm down for using a MC server, I have enough time on my hands to build whatever you guys want or need, within reason. Forum does sound better though.

Hey, TK, can we get a little more on the premise? Does the story (for a lack of a better term) begin moments before the world falls into apocalypse or...?

As for my character, I like the idea of just some young punk who can hop fences and sneak around to some success (lockpicking, car-rigging, unconvincing liar type of kid), but otherwise not particularly skilled or trustworthy. If we're keeping with the coffee shop as our first setting, he was probably skipping out a UA or something.

Muteface

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:36 am

Howdy mute! and of course:

The premise MIGHT be a little fluid since I am still piecing it together, but as I have it now is this:

At the onset of the game, the characters are all inside of a coffee shop that they have taken refuge in. The "outbreak" is in very early stages, as in within 24 hours, things have gotten hectic in the city and for one reason or another the characters all found it a good idea to get off the streets or are unable to get home through the chaos. There have been frenzied attacks on civilians and all sorts of related chaos, riots, looting, fires, etc. All civil service is tied up all over the city (undetermined for the moment) and there are sporadic reports of people's changing, mutating into monsters. Rumors are spreading that the people behind these attacks might not be people at all.

The characters at the start have only seen what they show on the news, blurred distant footage of gangs of people attacking others, riots and whatnot. They may have had SOME personal exposure to people exhibiting psychotic, homicidal violence, but nothing definitive.

Cultist and Mute, both of those character ideas sound great to me Very Happy

Any more questions?

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:28 am

Here's a rough character concept.

I’m an actor, a socialite, and a people person. It’s taken a lot of work to get here, sure the money I got from my Grandfathers death helped get me into college but I had to keep my grades up, do homework, and I had to keep my social life up. That involved getting a job, I found one quickly at a small coffee shop, it was a nice place, it had a varied crowd of people and a lot of fellow students came to it to socialize.

I’m in my fourth year of my degree, my family I haven’t talked to in about two years after my alcoholic father got into a fight with me at thanksgiving. Well I talk to my sister Jill occasionally, but she’s the only one. About Eight months ago I met a girl her name is Anna West, she’s cute, smart, funny, a Biology major and we've been dating happily for about Five months. Work, School, Socializing, and My Girl, My name is Ashton Wells, and that’s about it.

Now I'm holed up in the coffee shop after the chaos has broken out, I don't even know whats going on... But I know it's not good.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Post  TimeKiller Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm

High Cultist wrote:Here's a rough character concept.

I’m an actor, a socialite, and a people person. It’s taken a lot of work to get here, sure the money I got from my Grandfathers death helped get me into college but I had to keep my grades up, do homework, and I had to keep my social life up. That involved getting a job, I found one quickly at a small coffee shop, it was a nice place, it had a varied crowd of people and a lot of fellow students came to it to socialize.

I’m in my fourth year of my degree, my family I haven’t talked to in about two years after my alcoholic father got into a fight with me at thanksgiving. Well I talk to my sister Jill occasionally, but she’s the only one. About Eight months ago I met a girl her name is Anna West, she’s cute, smart, funny, a Biology major and we've been dating happily for about Five months. Work, School, Socializing, and My Girl, My name is Ashton Wells, and that’s about it.

Now I'm holed up in the coffee shop after the chaos has broken out, I don't even know whats going on... But I know it's not good.

+1

Question: What's your character's major? Theatre? Just curious.

TimeKiller
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  High Cultist Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Yeah Theater would be his major.

High Cultist

Back to top Go down

Let's try this again/welcome wagon Empty I was thinking Repairman for me

Post  an New Guy Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am

Like a small town repairman that was in the right place at the right time to avoid the initial panic/destruction

an New Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum